If your trying to eat healthy and avoid sugar, you know that canned sweetened condensed milk is off limits. This sweetened condensed milk recipe is Keto friendly and low carb. Also perfect for diabetics.
I begin by browning the butter to give it a rich depth. *Please note that margarine or butter imitations will not brown. To create the browned butter profile we want, you must use the real thing.
I created this for a specific cookie recipe to make a replica of some my mother used to make. She loved bar cookies with nuts and chocolate chips that would blend together when baked. Check out our delicious (and always sugar-free) “Sweet Coconut Bar Cookies” recipe.
Sugar Free Low Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk
yields 1 1/2 cups
1 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 C. Almond milk
4 TB. Butter
2 Smidgen scoops (or pinches) salt
2 TB powdered erythritol
1 ts. Vanilla Extract
1/2 ts.Stevia Select Stevia Powder
3/4 ts. Xanthan Gum
1. Put butter in a small saucepan on med. heat and allow it to brown. Watch it carefully as butter will burn easily. After you see it just starting to brown, add remaining ingredients except almond milk with Xanthan gum and vanilla extract. Remove from heat.
2. **Alert-Slightly tricky step. Xanthan Gum will begin thickening the moment it touches liquid. Please use speed and sprinkle powder as thin as possible to avoid clumping.
Measure almond milk and pour into a shakeable container with lid. Sprinkle 1/4 ts. of the Xanthan gum, at a time, into the almond milk. Wisk quickly with a fork and then cover & shake for a minute. Repeat these steps 3 xs until all Xanthan Gum is added. Some small lumps will get dispersed during final stages. In addition, if you are using this solely for the Bar Cookies, the lumps will be undetected👍🏼
3. Add almond milk/gum mixture to the butter and cream combination. Stir constantly with a wisk, as you pour it in to avoid clumping.
4. Place back on med. heat. Stirring constantly, allow mixture to come to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil you can turn off. Let it cool 5 min. and then add vanilla.
5. Store in refrigerator after it’s cooled.
Be sure to check out our Instagram page for more delicious stevia recipes and tag steviaselect if you make these.